Monday 11 June 2012

Riding around in circles in the capital

I am waiting in the departures lounge killing time before my flight back to the UK (hence the reason for 2 whole blogs in 2 consecutive days!) We had a great weekend racing at the AirForce Classic in Washington DC. The day before we were able to spin our legs and take in some of the great sites the city has on offer. Standing outside the gates of the White house we soon became the tourist attraction and all the Chinese tourists wanted their picture with us!




The first race was a 50k crit around a short but technical course. We were all instructed to be aggressive from the off as that is how we race best. Early on in the race I was away with 2 others. We were soon to be swamped by the peloton so I attacked. Kendall Ryan from TIBCO came with me and we established a substantial gap. Unsure of her finishing kick I was keen for it not to come down to that so I went with 5 to go and lapped the rear end of the bunch to take my first win as a neo-pro! Leah won the bunch sprint too.




Don't know what is going on with my lip?!
The following day we raced around a slightly longer course with a tight 180deg corner through a parking lot- random! I spent most of the race in one break or another which unfortunately didn't stick and it was decided in a bunch sprint. Leah powered to 3rd taking the overall in the process. So it was a good weekend all round! It was seriously hot, we were very grateful for having ice socks to stuff down our tops.


The map on my garmin file!




I really should stop wearing compression socks around airports I have lost track of the number of times I have been asked if I play soccer! Rightio better board my flight. Really looking forward to seeing my friends and fam. But I am sure in 2 weeks time I will be psyched to get out to the States again. Next up for me is Nationals in Yorkshire in 2 weeks time then back across the pond to Winconsin for Tour of America's Dairylands. Ciao for now!  
Excellent...No chance of heatwave take 2?

No comments:

Post a Comment